Recipe: Blueberry Mince Tarts
Summary: Makes 7 1/2 cups filling; 20 large tarts
- 1-1/4 cups sultana raisins
- 1-1/4 cups golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup candied mixed peel
- 2 tbsp fruit juice or brandy
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp each ground cloves, ginger and nutmeg
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup safflower, sunflower, canola or corn oil
- 1/2 cup ice water (made with ice cubes in glass of water)
- Combine raisins, cranberries, sugar, peel, juices, rind, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in blueberries and set aside.
- Pre heat oven to 400.
- In a bowl, mix flours, baking powder and salt with a whisk or fork. Stir in oil, tossing mixture with fork until small balls form. Sprinkle ice water gradually into mixture, tossing with fork until all flour is incorporated. Gather dough into 2 balls.
- Roll out each ball between plastic bags or sheets of waxed paper. To cut out tarts, use a 4-inch diameter jar lid or glass. Lift dough circles with an egg lifter and place in lightly oiled or non stick muffin tin.
- Place slightly more than 1/4 cup blueberry filling into each tart shell. Leftover filling can be stored in refrigerator or freezer.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until crust begins to brown. Cool before removing tarts from tins.
Cooking time: 17-20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Culinary tradition: USA (General)