Welcome to the website for “Becoming Vegan: Comprehensive Edition” and “Becoming Vegan: Express Edition” – award winning books that immediately became classics in plant-based nutrition. (Both by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina, Book Publishing Co.) We are delighted that you stopped by and hope that you thoroughly enjoy your visit!
Whether you’re moving towards a plant-based diet for your health, out of concern for the environment, or to avoid contributing to the suffering of animals, “Becoming Vegan: Express Edition” is the resource that you will keep coming back to. It answers all the questions you, your family and your friends might have about vegan health and nutrition. If you are a health professional or a person who is looking for in-depth information, “Becoming Vegan: Comprehensive Edition” provides the detail you are looking for.
These books set the standard on plant-based nutrition, with exhaustive analysis and full referencing. In both editions, internationally acclaimed vegan dietitians and speakers Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina present the latest findings on the following:
• using plant foods to protect against chronic diseases
• obtaining sufficient protein without meat, eggs, or dairy products
• maintaining a healthy weight and discovering the keys to fitness
• ensuring a healthy pregnancy and while breast-feeding, on a plant-based diet
• designing balanced vegan diets for infants, children, and seniors
• incorporating “good” fats and learning where to find them
• meeting calcium needs without dairy products
• maintaining excellent vitamin B12 status.
• new evidence of the health benefits of a vegan diet
• a comprehensive food guide.
Recent articles written by Vesanto Melina for Common Ground
NutriSpeak by Vesanto Melina, MS, Registered Dietitian A new paper published by the American Society for Nutrition makes the case for modernizing the definition of
The clips below address nutrients on plant-based diets; protein, vitamin B12, calcium, and omega-3 fatty acids, as well as the whole grain hierarchy with Registered Dietitian Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina. They also feature some of the advocacy that Vesanto and Brenda do.